MAIS FESTA is the Off Section (non-official) of Setúbal's International Theatre Festival – Theatre Fest.
The many spontaneous applications and proposals to participate in the Festival, received from artistic structures or informal groups, that eventually would not be programmed, led us to create this new section in 2014.
The fact that the Festival is in its 25th Edition (2023) shows the singularity of having become a national reference in theatre festivals. With the aim of opening possibilities for new creations and creators to take advantage of the logistics and promotion of the Festival, for the tenth time we will program the non-official section of the Festival, MAIS FESTA.
Date and Location
Setúbal's International Theatre Festival – XXV Theatre Fest will be held from the 17th until the 26th of August 2023, with extension on the 20th September 2023, in several venues in the municipality of Setúbal (Luísa Todi Municipal Forum, Sebastião da Gama Secondary School, Casa da Cultura, Bonfim Park and others).
E-mail for questions related to online application: email@example.com
Mobile: +351 967 330 188 / +351 932 570 979 / +351 927 718 386
Address for sending other information:
Teatro Estúdio Fontenova
Rua Dr. Sousa Gomes 11
2900-188 Setúbal, Portugal
General criteria of selection and participation
The Festival accepts national and international applications taking into account the general criteria described below. There are two categories of participation: CONTEST and OFF CONTEST.
For the CONTEST category we only accept theatre shows, with the possibility of being interdisciplinary shows:
- Street theatre/performance
- Outdoor or indoor theatre/performance, in conventional or non-conventional spaces.
In the OFF CONTEST category the Festival accepts, as well, theatre shows related to music, magic, circus, stand-up comedy, performance, or dance (street or interior).
In the CONTEST section the shows must have a minimum duration of 45 minutes.
- Acceptance of a presentation of a presentation of the Show / Performance with solidarity contribution from the audience reverting totally for the artist, for that purpose the authors must sign a declaration of free transfer of representation rights to the organization (Teatro Estúdio Fontenova).
- The organization is not responsible for any personal accidents of the participants in MAIS FESTA.
- The organization reserves the right to select / program the shows taking into account the following criteria:
- Evaluation of technical conditions proposed, favoring the autonomy and self-sufficiency of the shows;
- Privilege the shows with reduced number of human resources involved;
- Privilege the presentation of shows / performances in non-conventional venues.
- The organization reserves the right to film and photograph the shows for the purpose of promoting the Festival, and will only use clips with a duration of less than three minutes. The rights of cedency of those images or videos are exclusive to the Festival.
Conditions offered by the organization
- Promotion of the show in the communication materials of the Festival;
- Logistical support:
- Meals for the elements directly related to the show (actors, directors, musicians, technicians) during the previous day or day of the presentation (depending on the necessary logistics), in a restaurant partner of the Festival;
- Accommodation of the participants living more than 150km away from Setúbal;
- Support to the transportation of the participants living more than 150km away from Setúbal, up to a limit of 300€ of support from the organization;
- The organization of the Festival will provide technical support, having into account the point 3.1 of the Participation conditions. However, it is the participant's responsability to set up lights, sound, etc.
- Possibility of raising funds (hat / audience contributions) reverting only to the participants;
- The elements directly connected to shows participating in MAIS FESTA (artists and technicians) receive a free-pass valid for all the shows and activities of the Festival;
- The winner of the CONTEST section will be programmed for the Official Section of the XXVI Setúbal's Theatre Festival, in 2024, with a cachet of 1100€ (one thousand and one hundred euros) and meals. For participants living more than 150km away from Setúbal the organization provides accommodation, as well as support for transportation up to a limit of 300€. That year the winner will have to present a different show from the one that was in contest, with a minimum duration of 45 minutes.
- The application for the MAIS FESTA section is free and must be submitted by the 10th of April, 2023. You must fill out an application form, which can be filled directly online.
- The information contained in the application form is confidential and follows the General Regulation of Data Protection (authorization is needed in the application form). This information shall only be used exclusively for the promotion of the Festival, keeping confidentiality over the personal data provided.
- The costs of sending any documents considered important for the selection and evaluation of the show or performance are the participant's responsibility.
- The materials sent will not be returned and will become part of the archive of the Festival.
- The Festival requires authorization to grant the use of copyright of the authors for the performances. The declarations stating this as well as necessary documents should be sent five working days after the selection and confirmation of the show, under the effect of exclusion of the application.
- The organization commits itself to use the copies of the documents provided by the authors, namely declarations of authorization of representation given by the authors, solely for the purpose of licensing the shows / performances.
- The technical rider or technical needs will have to be sent alongside the application form, under the effect of exclusion of the application. In case it is a premiere we will wait for the rider up to 3 weeks before the beginning of the Festival.
This chapter applies only to the CONTEST section.
- The jury consists of three elements selected by the organization (professionals of the fields of arts and culture).
- The jury reserves the right not to award the prize in case they consider that the performances / shows in competition do not meet the conditions necessary to join the Official Section the following year.
- The final decision of the jury is sovereign, with no resource to appeals.
- The decision will be announced at the closing session of the Festival, followed by an e-mail.
- Ex aequo prizes will not be awarded.
- The winning artist(s) should confirm their presence in the following year's edition until 6 months after the decision.
- The deadline for application and delivery of all promotional materials is until the 10th of April, 2022 at 23h59 (GMT).
- The shows selected to be presented in the current year will be communicated by e-mail until the 19th of May, 2023. The information will be published in website of Teatro Estúdio Fontenova and the Facebook pages of the Festival and of Teatro Estúdio Fontenova, as well as other media.
- Following the first e-mail contact informing about the selected artists, they will have 5 working days to confirm their presence in the proposed day and time, or communicate an alternative in articulation with the organization. In case there is no confirmation the participation will not be considered.
- All the selected shows will appear on the media that will be produced for the XXIV edition of the Festival.
- The scheduling of date and time for the presentation of the performances / shows is set according to the criteria of the organization in articulation with the artists.
- Omitted cases will be solved by the organization, notifying the registrants in advance.
- This regulation and its terms need to be accepted in the application form ir order to validate your application.